Friday, August 31, 2012
Thursday, August 30, 2012
I got up this morning super early so he could have the "perfect" lunch packed in his cute little lunch box.
I made sure he was in a super cute outfit because, hey, even if he turned out to be a total terror, at least he might win his teachers over with his dashing looks!
(Of course, we had to get some front yard "bishing" in before school!)
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
The time of year when your husband shuts down to the world and there is constantly football on from Thursday night college to NFL Mondays is rapidly approaching. Ahhhh, football season. I would be ok if I only had to watch my teams (Aggies, Cowboys and my new addition the Miami Dolphins!... J-Train!), but sadly this isn't the case. When your husband stays up to watch a 10pm kickoff after he's followed all the games from the East coast to the West coast you know you have a problem. Thank God A&M didn't move to the Pac-10!
This will be the 9th football season Kyle and I have spent together so at this point I consider myself a seasoned veteran football widow. I've learned a few things and have come along way from my days of whining and tallying hours spent on football. You see, after I embraced the passion, things started looking up around here. The way I see it, season football tickets equate to season tickets to off-Broadway musicals. Five months of football on TV equates to all the "junk TV" and Terms of Endearment you can possibly watch all spring long.
AND, when your husband comes home with this just in time for the new football season (How convenient...):
Thursday, August 23, 2012
So. Not. Fair.
I'm sure that if I ever have a little girl her hair will look nothing like this. [Sigh.]
Tuesday, August 21, 2012
Here he is, "bishing" around the house!
There are multiple generations of men on both sides of the family who I'm sure are taking credit right now for Cooper's love of fishing. But, for the record, Cooper caught his first fish with his Mama! Here we are in Jackson when I was 5 months pregnant with Cooper and with our trophy trout!
Monday, August 20, 2012
Thursday, August 16, 2012
So since this post is a tribute to hers, here are some of mine (a day late)!!!
- I steal food from my kid. Blue Box Mac n' Cheese? Fruit Bunnies? Goldfish? Yes, please!
- I have Kyle convinced that I don't know how to iron. I'm sorry, but it's $0.99 to launder and press a shirt at the dry cleaner; I can find a better use for my time.
- I truly believe that not eating all of your french fries is the equivalent of not eating any.
- I cried my eyes out the night before I had Cooper...over the dog! I was heartbroken about not being able to take her every morning for our walk. Things are different now but she seems to enjoy the extra food that Cooper "shares" with her and the extra "ball thrower" we now have at the house!
- Cooper LOVES the Swiffer. I actually put a cleaning cloth on for him and praise him when he gets a lot of dog hair. I mean, might as well!
Here is Courtney's most recent post:
I ate so few fruits and vegetables this past week that I actually counted the bell peppers and onions in my deep dish pizza part of my veggies for the day. Sad? Very.
I stay up way too late every night. The feeling of freedom after the kids are down far outweighs the lack of sleep. But then I complain I'm tired. Another vicious cycle.
While we were traveling, I didn't want to buy (and then pack) a new package of diapers for Jay. So when we got down to the final TWO diapers to get us through the day, we had a choice- buy a new pack, or hope for the best. Let's just say, my bag was light- we traveled all day (car ride, airplane ride, and another car ride) with two diapers. THANKYOUJESUS for letting that one work out. What a mess that would have been!
Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Monday, August 13, 2012
It's Hatch Chile season!
Last year, Kyle and I ventured to Santa Fe for our first "away from baby" vacation. I had heard of Hatch chiles before, as our local gourmet grocer has a Hatch Festival every year, but had never understood the appeal. A chile is a chile is a chile, right? WRONG!
Towards the end of the summer in Santa Fe, you can't walk outside without the mouth-watering smell of roasting hatch chiles smacking you in the face. You can get them anywhere form a street roaster to the nicest restaurants in town. I don't know if it's all of the marketing hype that has sucked me in, or the fact that they just aren't available fresh for more than a few weeks. But, like a fleeting summer fling, the are hot and sassy and gone by the fall!
When roasted, the skin gets almost buttery. I like the flavor because it's more of a slow heat, not quite as hot as a jalepeno and more meaty. Kyle roasted them with onions on the grill last night and served them on top of a burger, smothered in Mexican cheese. It doesn't get much better than that!
I haven't tried but think they'd be great on pizza, eggs or in pimento cheese! Here are some more fun recipes from Central Market. Hatch brownies anyone?
Thursday, August 9, 2012
I'm not an anxious traveler...once I make it to the airport on time that is! However, I have three distinct in-flight items that I do not enjoy anywhere but on a plane!
1. Neon green Wrigley's gum (like my mom used to give me so my ears wouldn't hurt)
2. National Geographic - I have no interest unless I'm flying, then, I can't put it down.
3. Ginger Ale - I never intend to order this but somehow whenever the stewardess comes by that's what comes out of my mouth. What?!
Any other strange in-flight rituals out there?
Wednesday, August 8, 2012
- I don’t have to watch Yo Gabba Gabba ad nauseam on the plane. In fact, I get to read the book that I started 3 months ago. Good book? Bad book? Who cares?!
- I am taking 1 suitcase. 1!!!
- There is no fear of forgetting some gadget that will prevent my sleeping through the night.
- I will not have to plan my eating / showering / LIFE around nap time.
- I don’t have to worry about someone else’s poop. (For all of you non-Mommas out there, this is a big deal when you are traveling. Well, actually it’s a big deal all the time! Who would have thought?!)
Tuesday, August 7, 2012
I have been on the hunt for some art for a couple of walls in my dining room lately. I’ve noticed a lot of places are carrying framed vintage botanical and bird prints and I love the look. (Ballard, Restoration Hardware, BHG)
I will admit I’m not the craftiest person out there. I can’t draw, or paint, or sculpt but I’m damn good with a pair of scissors! Plus, I have zero time and zero patience for tasks that can’t be accomplished in 30 minutes or less…unless they involve food, um, or wine.
I bought this vintage book of Audubon bird prints and went to work. A few frames and matting from Michael’s later and Voila!
Quick update for the dining room on a dime! I think these would also be great in a kitchen or breakfast nook with white washed or grey frames.
Monday, August 6, 2012
What do you get when you put together 5 former college roommates, 4 babies, a 3 day lake trip and 2 condos? 1 really crazy weekend filled with diaper talks, laughing, crying, no sleep and wayyyyyy to many margaritas!
I’ve been friends with this group of girls for 10 years since meeting at brand new Kappa pledges at Texas A&M. No matter how much time has passed, when we get together we still act like brand new Kappa pledges at Texas A&M. Oh the shenanigans!
Here’s a recap of the weekend from my friend Chelsea’s blog:
The Life We Love
We tried our best to get a picture of all the babies together in their Aggie gear...