Thursday, August 30, 2012

Nudge! Nudge, baby bird!

Today was Cooper's first day of school.  Ok, so it's the "Young Toddlers" class and it's only 2 days a week but still!  It was...intense!

I got up this morning super early so he could have the "perfect" lunch packed in his cute little lunch box.


I made sure he was in a super cute outfit because, hey, even if he turned out to be a total terror, at least he might win his teachers over with his dashing looks!

(Of course, we had to get some front yard "bishing" in before school!)




We got to the school and everything seemed fine.  He one of the first kiddos there and immediately got distracted when the teacher let him go wash his hands and play in the sink.  Anyone who knows Cooper knows his affinity for "agua"!  So I decided to take the lead and make my exit.  I kissed him on the top of his head and snuck out.

I was so proud of myself all morning, thinking of my sweet little boy up at school, NOT CRYING, and doing something extraordinary like writing his name or learning to add and subtract.  Well, as it turns out, the not crying part would have been the extraordinary thing.

I walked into the classroom after lunch, and there he was...slumped over in his chair, binky in his mouth and lovey in his hand....sobbing.  Ouch.  I walked up to him and he reached out to me and between sobs told me "Mama, bye bye.  BYE BYE!"  It still hadn't sunk in yet so I asked the teacher about his day.  She told me that he didn't cry like this all day.  He was "quiet" during music class and didn't  cry most of the time outside.  Double ouch.

My friend Taryn told me it wan't like the "weeping" kind of sadness you felt when your baby first goes to school, more like the "nauseating" kind. She was so right. I had a knot in my stomach this afternoon so big you would have thought I just dropped him off at college.

I know it's for the best. I know that part of helping him grow is letting him struggle a bit.  I also know that he will get used to it and learn to love it.  But, man!!!  This mama bird got a little taste of why they call this the "hardest job in the world" today!




4 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel your pain. It's just a part of growing up and he is such a smart little guy I'm betting he loves his days of school in a week or two. It will probably be harder on you than Cooper.
    By the way, he sure did look cute in the green shirt and shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww! It will get better- I promise! But there is nothing as awful as seeing your baby hurting- cant wait for middle school! :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! At least they are crying for us, not because they are embarrassed of us...yet!

      Delete
  3. Man. I can't even imagine how tough that will be. And it's so hard because it's not like he can come home and tell you, "I love science but the kid who sits next to me is mean." That must have been soooo hard when you saw him sad like that. Well, on a brighter note- LOOOOOVE those shoes- he is rocking those kicks (your kid would be!) and also, that was such a sweet little lunch! So healthy!! Where did you get those cute stickers for his sippy cup?

    ReplyDelete