Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My Day Date is Your Typical Saturday

Yesterday was President’s Day and Kyle and I both had the day off. We used the unique combo of the holiday plus available childcare to construct the perfect “day date”. I suppose when you’re a parent, this takes on a whole new meaning.



 We started off the day at a new restaurant in our neighborhood for breakfast. We sat down and talked over coffee and I actually read a newspaper! Kyle let me eat in peace without having to sit in my lap and grab for my fork or exclaim “I HAVE TO GO PEE PEE” as soon as I took my first bite. IT WAS GLORIOUS. GLORIOUS, I tell you. 

Next we went to the gym to workout. I forgot that when you’re not on a time budget that this is actually fun. We even squeezed in a sauna steam and a smoothie, because we could! Afterwards, we went shopping together and out for the most kid-unfriendly lunch we could muster: sushi and sake. Raw food and eating utensils which are likely to be turned into swords? Bring it. 

Now here’s where things started to get a little crazy. Are you ready for it?! The next stops included none other than the grocery store (kid mecca for a case of the “I want that-s”), the pet store (where nobody asked me for a pet snake) and the hardware store (where we escaped without having to buy 5 Lightening McQueen flashlights). 

I was giddy this morning when I got into work recalling all of the things we did yesterday. Until I realized that I was recounting my story to a colleague without children. He probably does this every weekend. 


Just wait, sucker. They’ll come for you too.

3 comments: