This is so tasty and a good way to mix it up from you normal egg, cheese and sausage breakfast dish.
Bagel & Lox Strata
1/4 cup butter, melted
4 bagels cut into bite-size pieces
1 8 ounce package thinly sliced smoked salmon
8 ounces Swiss cheese or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (2 cups)
1/4 cup snipped fresh chives or green onion
8 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 cup cottage cheese
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place melted butter in a 13x9-inch baking dish, spreading to cover the bottom. Spread bagel pieces evenly in prepared dish.
- Layer lox, cheese, and chives evenly over bagel pieces.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, milk, cottage cheese, and pepper. Pour over layers in dish.
- Press down gently with the back of a wooden spoon to moisten all of the ingredients. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours.
- Bake, uncovered, about 50 minutes to an hour or untiltop is puffed and golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
*** If you want to cut this in half just use a square casserole.