Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Junk Pizza


A weeknight staple in our house is what we like to call “junk pizza”.  Toppings include any and all spare ingredients we can piece together from the fridge, hence the name.  Effective fridge cleaning exercise and tasty too!

I’m not going to sit here and claim it as a health food item, but I do my best to lean in that direction.  I use a whole wheat Boboli crust, pesto or olive oil for the sauce and very little cheese.

Last night’s junk pizza was created using rotisserie chicken* chunks, onion, bell pepper, jalapeños and fresh tomato slices.  Some ingredients were new, some were used!  In the past I’ve used spinach, mushrooms, squash and broccoli.  Seriously, whatever you can find in the veggie drawer is good…it’s pizza, baby!

 * Chef’s note J: Rotisserie chicken is a staple in my fridge.  I buy one a week!  I will peel back the skin and chop up the chicken breast for a quick salad or pasta and Cooper boy loves just eating it plain.  You can imagine my delight when HEB started putting out an “All Natural” version.  Mommy approved!



Kyle says “junk pizza” is one of my best dishes.  At 5 minutes or less of prep time, I’m not sure that’s a compliment but I'll take it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment