Speaking of sharing, I added a Cheeseburgers on China "What's For Dinner Wednesday" board on Pinterest to make it easier to find all of these recipes. You can follow by clicking here. I also made a permanent link on my blog so you will be able to navigate to the Pinterest board directly from my blog in the future.
This soup feels a little more like short-order cooking than the rest of the recipes I've shared but only because I get two pots going at once. No extra chopping required and the kids get the feel of eating the adult meal. It's super yummy and freezes well!
(Note: I attempted to write the directions in the order that I cook the two pots at once. Holler at me if this is confusing!)
Chicken Tortilla Soup
6 tbsp vegetable oil
4 corn tortillas, chopped into bite sized pieces
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 small can green chilies
1 ear of corn, cooked and off the cobb (or 1 can sweet corn if corn not in season)
4 cooked chicken breast halves (or a whole shredded rotisserie chicken)
2 tbsp cumin (plus a bit extra to season kid soup)
1 tbsp chili powder
3 bay leaves
8 cups chicken stock
1 tsp salt (plus a bit extra to season kid soup)
1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne
(Garnish: sour cream, green onion, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, avocado)
- Heat 4 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large stock pot (adult soup) and 2 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan (kid soup).
- In the kid soup add: about a small handful of tortillas, 1 clove garlic and 2 tbsp of onion. In the adult soup add the remaining tortillas, garlic and onion plus cilantro. Saute both pots for 2-3 minutes.
- In the kid soup add about 2 tbsp of tomatoes. In the adult soup add the remaining tomatoes plus the green chilies. Bring to a boil.
- In the kid soup add 2 cups of chicken stock, 1 bay leaf, and cumin to taste (approx. 1/4 tsp cumin). In the adult soup add 6 cups chicken stock, 2 tbsp cumin, 1 tbsp chili powder and 2 bay leaves. Return to boil.
- Reduce heat. In the kid soup add salt to taste (just a pinch) and about 4 tbsp corn. In the adult soup add salt, cayenne pepper and the remaining corn.
- Simmer both pots for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. In the kid soup stir in a small handful of chicken. In the adult soup add in the remaining chicken. Heat for about 5 minutes or until chicken is heated through.
- Garnish with cheese, sour cream, green onion, shredded cheese, tortilla chips and avocado…or whatever else you and your kids prefer!
|Adult soup on the left, kid on the right…simmering!|
|Chicken Tortilla Soup, adult version|
|Chicken Tortilla Soup, kid version|