Wednesday, January 28, 2015

What's For Dinner Wednesday: Breakfast for Dinner Spinach Salad

We LOVE breakfast for dinner around here but I'm always feeling like I'm missing out on my greens. Let's be honest, I'm usually playing catch-up on my veggie servings by the time I get to dinner! So I concocted this salad idea and it was a hit with the hubs! The kids had scrambled eggs an green beans and were none the wiser. One day you'll be down with runny yolks my little friends!

This is a great recipe for when you need a quick dinner with things you probably already have in your fridge, plus it has that "breakfast for dinner" comfort food feel!

Breakfast for Dinner Spinach Salad

Ingredients:

9oz fresh baby spinach
4oz prosciutto
4 eggs
1 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
Vinaigrette Salad Dressing (DIY or Brianna's Real French Vinaigrette is my go-to)
Two slices of wheat toast, buttered 
Black pepper

Directions:

1. Saute prosciutto in a small frying pan over medium-high heat. (About 5 minutes depending on the desired level of crispiness.) Place on a paper towel to drain.
2. Poach eggs: I poach two at a time. Bring about 3 cups of water and 1 Tbsp of white wine vinegar to simmering in a sauté pan. Crack two eggs into a separate bowl or ramekin. Stir the water until you have made a "whirlpool" and then slide your eggs into the center. This will wrap the egg whites around the center and give you a more condensed poached egg. Poach for 3-4 minutes and then remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain the liquid.
3. Place desired amount of spinach on the plate. Top with prosciutto, eggs, freshly cracked black pepper to taste and salad dressing. Serve with buttered toast (because hello runny egg yolks, yum).

(Note: After eating, I thought this might be good with some green onion. Let me know if you try it!)


No comments:

Post a Comment