Saturday, November 17, 2012

Mamacita's Dressing

I love Thanksgiving.  Family, food and football!  What's not to like?!  Something for everyone.  In fact, I'm a little upset that my neighbors have their Christmas lights already up and turned on.  Back off Christmas, it's TURKEY DAY!

When handing out the Thanksgiving assignments, there is one that never changes hands....my Mom's dressing!  It is easily the most talked about fought over dish that is at our table.  My mom has to make two separate casseroles, one to serve and one so the boys don't kill each other fighting for leftovers!  I'm told this was once an old Southern Living recipe that has morphed through the years.  One thing is for sure, it doesn't stick around long!

For those of you who haven't finalized your menu, here's the recipe for Mamacita's dressing!

Mamacita’s Cornbread and Sausage Dressing

1 lb. pork sausage (I usually use “hot”)
1 chopped onion
4 cups crumbled cornbread (Make ahead, better if a little stale!)
1 cup crumbled day old bread (I use French bread)
2 eggs
2 cups chicken broth
½ tsp. poultry seasoning
¼ tsp. salt

Combine sausage and onion in a skillet; cook until browned, stirring to crumble meat.
Combine sausage and remaining ingredients in a bowl.  Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased 12x8x2-inch baking dish.  Cover and bake for 30 minutes in a 350F oven. Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until heated through.

*I usually season the mixture with black pepper, garlic and some Tabasco sauce.
* If you double the recipe, like I have to do with my family, it’ll need to bake for at least an hour.


What are the "must have" dishes on your table?


2 comments:

  1. I thought her dressing was a secret recipe. I'm not a dressing person but I love Cita's.

    ReplyDelete