Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Mac n' Cheese? Yes, please!

WARNING: THIS RECIPE WILL RUIN YOUR "SKINNY" DAY.


DISCLAIMER: I CAN NOT ATTEST TO ANY HEALTH BENEFITS OR LACK THEROF.  I CAN ONLY ATTEST TO THE CHEESE EUPHORIA THAT COMES WITH THIS RECIPE!


I love cheese.  I know, everyone loves cheese.  It's like saying "I love my Mom" or "I love sunshine, babies and puppies."  So when cheese doubles as a side dish, a la mac n' cheese, I'm all over it!

On weeknights, I still love my blue box, but a couple of years ago I went on a hunt for the perfect "Gucci" mac n' cheese recipe!  On my quest, I stumbled upon the Cheesemonger's Mac and Cheese on Epicurious.com.  After several iterations, here's what I've settled on as my favorite version:

Casey’s Mac n’ Cheese
(adapted from “Cheesemonger’s Mac n’ Cheese from Epicurious.com)
Ingredients
  • 2 cups coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese (8oz)
  • 2 cups coarsely grated smoky gouda (8oz)
  • 1 1/2 cups diced Brie (no rind) (6oz)
  • 5 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
  • 3/4 teaspoon (scant) nutmeg
  • 4 cups whole milk
  • 1 3/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless French bread
  • 1 pound pasta (I like “pope hats” or spiral)
  • Salt to taste
  • Cayenne - dash
Preparation
Mix all cheeses. Set aside 1 cup for topping; cover and chill. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir until mixture turns golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add rosemary and nutmeg. Gradually whisk in milk. Simmer until thickened and smooth, stirring often, about 4 minutes. Add cheeses from large bowl. Add cayenne. Add salt to taste. (Be generous because the pasta soaks it up).  Stir until melted and smooth.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add breadcrumbs; toss. Stir until golden and crunchy, about 2 minutes. Transfer to plate.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook pasta in boiling salted water until tender but firm to bite. Drain. Transfer to large bowl. Pour cheese sauce over; toss. Put in baking dish / dishes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese and the breadcrumbs. Bake pasta until beginning to bubble and tops are golden, about 20 minutes.


I made it for friends last weekend and it was gone so fast we didn't get a picture!  Test it out and let me know what you think!!!   

8 comments:

  1. OMG, you're killing me! Sounds fantastic. Add a little smoked Gruyere for that hint of bacon. OK, now I'm hungry and i just ate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a diet buster but it's so worth it!!! And, I'm all about adding new cheeses! Will definitely try it!

      Delete
  2. Um YUM. You know I'm a sucker for a good mac & cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that sounds ridiculous...like 2 giant preg broads wolfing down Jus Mac!! PS I owe you dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We beasted that mac! Mommy night out, stat!

      Delete
  4. Um this sounds amazing. Mac and cheese is hands down my favorite food. Delish

    ReplyDelete